Saturday, August 19, 2006

Orange Line in LA - potential "revolution"

Orange Line opens Oct. 29, and Supervisor Yaroslavsky hails it as a potential "revolution."
Metro Investment Report
October, 2005

http://www.metroinvestmentreport.com/mir/?module=displaystory
&story_id=305&edition_id=52&format=html

"We went down there (Curitiba, Brazil), and within 15 minutes of seeing their bus system – which is a fixed-guideway system with an exclusive busway for their main lines – all of us looked at it and said, “This makes sense. This could work in Los Angeles.” I remember pacing off the width of the street, the width of the busway, applying it to Van Nuys Boulevard, La Brea Avenue, certainly the Southern Pacific right-of-way, and I said, “this would work back home.” Before I saw it with my own eyes, I never understood how functional and pleasant their system is."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home